Russell Court is a part-cobbled cul-de-sac off Cleveland Row in Westminster. The Mews contains 5 properties used for residential purposes. The Mews is similar in size to Catherine Wheel Yard, another original/surviving Mews just around the corner.
Russell Court is another mews to the west of St James’s Street, which is tucked away behind the majestic properties fronting onto Cleveland Row. It contains some simple two-storey stables of around 1790.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto Catherine Wheel Yard nearby and the properties had to be rebuilt as a result. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was described as being comfortable with normal household earnings.
Russell Court is part of Westminster City Council’s St James’s Conservation Area. Designated on 27th March 1969 (and extended in 1974 and 1987, with further boundary changes taking plaice in 1990), St James’s forms a distinct district in the City of Westminster. It is located in the heart of the city and has a strong relationship with many of the adjoining conservation areas. It provides a relatively settled townscape, retaining important elements of some earlier development. Most of the original 17th and 18th century small mews survive hidden between St James’s Street and Green Park.
The two storey, painted brickwork buildings have a mixture of mansard and parapet roof styles and are surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface. Parking is restricted and the garages remain intact.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stabling for the surrounding properties but nowadays they are mainly used for residential purposes.
There have been a few planning applications made since 2003, most notably the demolition of a significant number of properties in correlation with the redevelopment of St James’s Market (2012). Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.