Wyndham Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac, off Montagu Street in Westminster. The Mews contains 10 properties and is orientated in a east-west direction, similar to Beverston Mews that runs parallel and is also an original/surviving Mews.
A high explosive bomb fell onto the nearby Bryanston Square, Marylebone in 1940 but Wyndham Mews remained intact. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was determined as being very poor.
Wyndham Mews is a part of Westminster City Council’s Portman Estate Conservation Area. Situated in the boundaries of Marylebone, which was once covered with forest and marshland, the estate originally comprised about 270 acres and now contains a variety of buildings from different centuries, from many examples of Mews to the grand terraces of Bryanston Square and Montagu Square.
The plain brickwork, two and three storey buildings have mansard and parapet roofs. There is restricted parking on the cobbled road surface. Lady Falkender once lived in the Mews.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation for the larger, main houses in Montagu Place but nowadays the Mews is used residentially. A few planning applications have been made since 2003 for second floor extensions.