Situated within Inner London in the Borough of Camden, is Rochester Place; a cobbled through road off Camden Road with access to Rochester Mews, containing redeveloped Mews properties. The Mews contains 27 properties used for residential purposes.
The Mews is part of the Rochester Conservation Area; centred around Rochester Terrace Gardens and designated recently in December 2001, the area has elegant architecture conveying unity, with open spaces in the Gardens and the relatively low height of buildings in comparison to other areas.
A high explosive bomb fell onto Camden Road, right next to the Mews, presumably causing significant damage to the properties in World War II and when the London Poverty Maps were first published, the area was deemed to have poorer than average living conditions.
Built around the 1870’s, the two storey properties have plain brickwork facades with gable roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface. Number 44 was built between 1980-5 and number 42, 1986-9.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Rochester Terrace and nowadays they are predominantly used for residential purposes.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews, the most notable being; external alterations to the properties. It has been redeveloped in the past. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.