Queen’s Grove Studios, off Queen’s Grove is a gated cul-de-sac in Upper Westminster. There are about 5 properties in the Mews, used for residential purposes.
When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was determined as having middle class living conditions.
Queen’s Grove Studios is part of Westminster Council’s St John’s Wood Conservation Area; one of Westminster’s biggest Conservation Areas located in the northern extremity of the City. Designated in 1968, St John’s Wood has an overall low density townscape with wide tree-lined streets. Importance is placed on generous gardens, trees and greenery, with smaller pockets of terraced housing and mansion blocks.
The two and three storey properties have pitched roofs and a plain brickwork facade surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface. Dame Laura Knight lived here 1919-1923. They were originally artist studios with a balcony/ veranda.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses in Queen’s Grove. Now, it is used for residential purposes.
A few planning applications have been made before and since 2003, including; the excavation of two basement levels and the conversion of a garages into additional residential accommodation for the properties. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.