Queen’s Gate Place Mews is a cobbled through road approached through its own arch on Queen’s Gate Place and leading to Cromwell Road (opposite Stanhope Mews East, another original/ surviving Mews) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 43 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto Elvaston Mews, above Queen’s Gate Place Mews. The Mews was noted as having fairly comfortable living conditions with good ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Queen’s Gate’ Conservation Area. Containing grand terraces, garden squares and intimate Mews, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. It is bounded in the north and east sides by Westminster and incorporates London’s primary Museums.
The two and three storey properties have a variety of different roof styles and a mixture of rendered or painted brickwork facades. Parking is allocated or restricted along the cobbled road surface, with partial raised pavements.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Queen’s Gate and Queen’s Gate Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential, though some commercial activity still takes place.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Queen’s Gate Place Mews, most notably; changes to the fenestration and the excavation of a basement. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.