Pont Street Mews is a private, cobbled cul-de-sac approached through its own arch off Walton Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, with no access to the general public. Pont Street Mews contains 26 properties, used for residential purposes.
In the past, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Hans Town’ Conservation Area; one of Kensington’s largest Conservation Areas designated in 1971 and further extended multiple times up to, most recently 1995, the name is taken from Sir Hans Sloane who acquired the area of Chelsea and whose marriage into the Cadogan family led to the development of the estate. The area is split into Knightsbridge, East of Sloane Street and West of Sloane Street sub-areas; being very architecturally diverse from early 18th Century to late Georgian Times and 19th Century to commercial redevelopment in the 20th Century.
Built in 1879, the two and three storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with pitched roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface.
Originally used as the coach house/ stable accommodation for the main houses on Pont Street, the purpose of the Mews properties is now residential rather than commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews, most notably; basement excavations for additional residential accommodation and alterations to the fenestration on the properties.
Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.