Pavilion Road is a very long, part-cobbled through road between Basil Street and Symons Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, parallel to Cadogan Lane which also contains original/ surviving Mews buildings. Pavilion Road contains 109 properties used for a mixture of residential, public and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Sloane Street, running parallel to the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Hans Town’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest Conservation Areas designated in 1971 and further extended multiple times up to, most recently 1995, the name is taken from Sir Hans Sloane who acquired the area of Chelsea and whose marriage into the Cadogan family led to the development of the estate. The area is split into Knightsbridge, East of Sloane Street and West of Sloane Street sub-areas; being very architecturally diverse from early 18th Century to late Georgian Times and 19th Century to commercial redevelopment in the 20th Century.
The one, two, three and four+ storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a variety of different roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam, paved, stone and cobbled road surface and flush or raised pavements. There are both intact and converted garages present and parking is allocated or restricted.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now a mixture of residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, including; single storey extensions, changes to the fenestration, basement excavations and the complete demolition of certain properties. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.