Ovington Mews is a part-cobbled cul-de-sac approached through an entrance under a building on Ovington Gardens in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, partly in line with Egerton Gardens Mews. Ovington Mews contains 14 properties, used for residential purposes.
In the past, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions and extremely wealthy household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with pitched roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface and partial raised pavements. One of the properties has a roof garden.
Originally used as the coach house/ stable accommodation for the main houses on Ovington Gardens, the purpose of the Mews properties is now residential rather than commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews, most notably; basement excavations for additional residential accommodation and alterations to the fenestration on the properties.
Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.