Montagu Mews South is a cobbled cul-de-sac off George Street in Westminster, opposite Montagu Mews West, another original/ surviving Mews street. There are 23 properties in the Mews in two sections, used for residential purposes.
Between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto Great Cumberland Place, very close to the Mews causing most, if not all of the buildings to be rebuilt. The area was noted as being fairly comfortable with good, ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
Montagu Mews South is a part of Westminster City Council’s Portman Estate Conservation Area. Situated in the boundaries of Marylebone, which was once covered with forest and marshland, the estate originally comprised about 270 acres and now contains a variety of buildings from different centuries, from many examples of Mews to the grand terraces of Bryanston Square and Montagu Square.
The Mews has two and three storey, plain and painted brickwork buildings with roofs hidden behind parapet walls. The buildings are surrounded by a cobbled road surface and parking is restricted.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Montagu Street and Great Cumberland Place but today are mainly used residentially.
A few planning applications have been made since 2003 for alterations to properties, mainly; changes to the fenestration and the use of the garages as residential accommodation. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.