Colbeck Mews is a cobbled through road approached through its own arch on Collingham Road and leading on to Harrington Gardens in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Colbeck Mews contains 14 properties, used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a number of high explosive bombs fell onto Harrington Gardens, south of the Mews. In the past, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Courtfield’ Conservation Area; first designated in 1971 as Collingham Gardens and was subsequently expanded up to 1985. It is an attractive residential enclave surrounded by many major roads, providing a firm boundary to the area meaning further expansion is unlikely. The formal terraces, gardens and wide roads provide an elegant character to the area.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with a variety of mansard, pitched and parapet roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface. There is an arch one end of the Mews, and many plants and trees in the road.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Harrington Gardens and Courtfield Road, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; most notably, basement excavations, mansard roof extensions and new fenestration on some of the properties. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.