Situated within Inner London in the Borough of Camden, is West Hampstead Mews; a part-cobbled through road off Broadhurst Gardens. The Mews contains 20 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
The Mews is part of the South Hampstead Conservation Area; originally known as the Swiss Cottage Conservation Area until February 2011, the area has wide streets lined with trees and evenly spaced brick buildings.
A high explosive bomb fell onto Broadhurst Gardens, north of the Mews and when the London Poverty Maps were first published, the area was deemed to have very comfortable living conditions with ordinary or above average household earnings for the time.
The two storey properties have plain brickwork facades with a mixture of gable, flat and parapet roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface. 1886 is written on the face of one property. One of the two Mews in the Conservation Area, the properties have simple elevations in keeping with their original function as garages, workshops and stables.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets and nowadays they are predominantly used for residential purposes, with some commercial activity also taking place.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews, the most notable being; the change of use to residential, single storey extensions, partial demolition of some properties and alterations to the fenestration. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.