Sussex Mews West is a cobbled cul-de-sac, approached through an entrance under a building on Bathurst Place in Westminster, opposite Bathurst Mews, the last equestrian-purpose Mews in London. The Mews contains 9 properties used for residential purposes.
In 1940, a high explosive bomb fell onto Westbourne Terrace not far from Bathurst Mews, but the mews itself was largely unaffected by this. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was noted as being fairly comfortable with good, ordinary earnings.
Sussex Mews West is part of Westminster City Council’s Bayswater Conservation Area. Developed over the space of about 70 years, the townscape is uniform despite being composed of several distinct areas and is made up of a regular composition of streets and squares in an Italianate style. An important aspect of the street pattern are the several mews, some quite intimate and others so large that they appear to be a development of their own. The contrast of scale provided by these mews is a crucial aspect of the overall area’s character.
The three storey properties in the Mews are of painted or rendered brickwork, with mansard, flat or parapet roof styles. The cobbled street has no pavements and restricted parking.
Sussex Mews West was originally stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses in Sussex Square and Westbourne Street. The main use of the properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003, there have been a few applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, notably; mansard roof extensions, changes to the fenestration and garage conversions to additional residential dwellings. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development within the Mews.