Sumner Place Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Sumner Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, opposite to Onslow Mews East, another original/ surviving Mews. It contains 4 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Cranley Place, west of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with an extremely wealthy standard of living when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area; one of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces, most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades, parapet, flat or pitched roof styles and are surrounded by a cobbled road surface. There are metal bressumers and raised party walls present.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Onslow Square, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Sumner Place Mews, most notably; the demolition of the existing Mews garages and the installation of a balcony on a Mews property. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.