Studio Place is a small, gated Mews with no vehicular access off Kinnerton Street in Westminster. The Mews contains 17 properties and is approached through an entrance under a building.
In World War II, a bomb is recorded falling directly onto Ann’s Close, a nearby Mews Style cul-de-sac and as a result, there is little remaining evidence of previous equestrian usage in the surviving properties. The cul-de-sac is recorded as having a mixed classification of poverty when the London Poverty Maps were first published. Some households had comfortable living conditions where others were seen as poor in comparison.
Studio Place is part of Westminster City Council’s Belgravia Conservation Area; first designated in 1968, it was laid out as a fashionable residential area to the west of Buckingham Palace. There is a high degree of townscape uniformity and a formal layout based on a grid pattern. The area is predominantly residential with some shops on the edges. There are also a significant number of embassies, diplomatic buildings and institutional headquarters.
The small, enclosed cul-de-sac contains two and three storey rendered and painted buildings, surrounded by a stone and tarmac floor surface. The roofs are hidden behind parapet walls and there are no garages or room for parking. There are many benches and tables present. At the far end of the Mews is Bradbrook House, a brick mansion built around 1830.
The Mews originally provided stable/coach house accommodation for the larger houses in Kinnerton Street, from which Studio Place can be accessed.
Some of the original two storey buildings have been altered and extended and are now largely three stories high.
A few planning applications have been made before and since 2003, mainly minor alterations to the fenestration. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.