Stanhope Mews West is a through road off Stanhope Gardens, leading to Cromwell Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, parallel to Stanhope Mews East. It contains 23 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Gloucester Road, just west of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having fairly comfortable living conditions with good ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Queen’s Gate’ Conservation Area. Containing grand terraces, garden squares and intimate Mews, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. It is bounded in the north and east sides by Westminster and incorporates London’s primary Museums.
The two, three and four storey properties have a variety of mansard and flat roof styles and a mixture of rendered or painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the tarmacadam road surface.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Gloucester Road and Stanhope Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential, though some commercial activity still remains.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Stanhope Mews West, mainly regarding changes to the fenestration. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.