Scampston Mews is a gated, cobbled cul-de-sac off Cambridge Gardens in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, next to Trinity Mews (a redeveloped Mews). Scampston Mews contains 14 properties used for residential purposes.
The Aggregate Night Time Bomb Census recorded a High Explosive Bomb falling onto Westway, just below the Mews between October 7th 1940 and June 6th 1941.
The Mews is part of the ‘Oxford Gardens’ Conservation Area. Designated in 1975 to include the St Quintin Estate, Oxford Gardens, Bassett Road and Cambridge Gardens, the Conservation Area contains very few listed buildings and can be split into three districts containing developments spanning from 1897 to after 1905.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades and pitched roof styles surrounded by a cobbled road surface.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the purpose of the Mews properties is now primarily residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most concerning alterations to the fenestration, some extensions to the properties (including subterranean) and the installation of security gates to the Mews in 2005. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.