Rutland Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac approached through an entrance under a building on Boundary Road in Upper Westminster. There are 16 properties in the Mews, used for residential purposes. Boundary Road marks the end of Westminster and the beginning of Camden.
When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was determined as being middle class and well off in comparison to the standard household salaries at the time.
Rutland Mews is part of Westminster Council’s St John’s Wood Conservation Area; one of Westminster’s biggest Conservation Areas located in the northern extremity of the City. Designated in 1968, St John’s Wood has an overall low density townscape with wide tree-lined streets. Importance is placed on generous gardens, trees and greenery, with smaller pockets of terraced housing and mansion blocks.
The Mews has two storey, plain brickwork buildings and mansard roof styles. The garages remain intact and are surrounded by a cobbled road surface. The Mews properties are down both sides of the cul-de-sac. The 1953 film ‘Genevieve’ used Rutland Mews as a location for filming.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Abbey Road. Now, it is predominantly used for residential purposes.
A few planning applications have been made before and since 2003 mainly regarding changes to the fenestration and minor internal and external alterations. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.