Ruston Mews is a gated, private cul-de-sac off Saint Mark’s Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, backing on to Railway Mews, also containing original/ surviving Mews properties. It contains 35 properties used for residential purposes. Formerly called Crayford Mews, it was built in the 1860’s before changing its name to Ruston Mews.
When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household salaries.
The Mews is not part of a Conservation Area.
The two storey properties have a mixture of different roof styles and rendered and painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the tarmacadam road. Germaine Greer once lived in the Mews as did the late comedian Peter Cook.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on Lancaster Road, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Ruston Mews; most notably roof alterations and extensions and the complete demolition of a Mews property in 1999.
Ruston Mews is owed by the Ruston Mews Association Ldt.