Roland Way is a cobbled through road between Old Brompton Road and Roland Gardens in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 44 properties used for residential purposes, with an entrance barrier at both ends.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb fell onto Drayton Gardens, running parallel to the Mews. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions and very wealthy household earnings for the time.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two and three storey properties have a mixture of different roof styles and plain or painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the cobbled road surface and there are both intact and converted garages present. The properties have raised party walls and metal bressumers.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on Drayton Gardens and Roland Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Roland Way; including extensive rear and subterranean extensions. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.