Red Lion Yard is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Waverton Street in Westminster. The Mews contains 8 properties used for residential purposes.
In 1940, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling somewhere onto Hill Street, very close to the Mews, meaning many of the properties had to be rebuilt, hence the current mews not showing any evidence of previous equestrian usage.
When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions with average household salaries, though the main buildings were classed as being some of the wealthiest in London at the time.
The Mews is part of Westminster City Council’s Mayfair Conservation Area; first designated in 1969, it derives its name from a fair held in the month of May in fields around the site of today’s Shepherd Market. The area is dominated by fashionable town-houses (and their mews) reflecting the history of English domestic architecture from the early 18th to the early 20th century.
Red Lion Yard has been partially redeveloped with a few original/ surviving Mews remaining. The road surface is cobbled and it has no pavements. The three and four storey properties have mansard roofs and plain brickwork facades.
Before and since 2003 there have been very few planning applications for alterations to the properties within the Mews; mainly changes to the fenestration.
Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.