Queensdale Walk is a cul-de-sac off Queensdale Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, opposite Prince’s Place, also containing original/ surviving Mews properties. It contains 14 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Royal Crescent, south-west of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having a mixture of comfortable living conditions with lower than average, household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s Norland Conservation Area; first designated in 1969, it contains Royal Crescent, Norland Square and St. James’s gardens. Building of the area began in the 1840’s and was completed just fifteen years later. It contains linked terraces and is largely urban in style.
The two storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a variety of parapet and pitched roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and raised pavements.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Norland Square and Addison Avenue, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a number of planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most notably; the complete demolition of a property, basement excavations and the rebuilding of a rear garden extension. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.