Princes Place is a through road off Princedale Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, leading to Queensdale Road, opposite Queensdale Walk, also containing original/ surviving Mews properties. It contains 51 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Pottery Lane, another surviving Mews just east of Princes Place. The Mews was noted as having a mixture of comfortable living conditions with lower than average, household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s Norland Conservation Area; first designated in 1969, it contains Royal Crescent, Norland Square and St. James’s gardens. Building of the area began in the 1840’s and was completed just fifteen years later. It contains linked terraces and is largely urban in style.
The two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a variety of mansard, gable and pitched roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and raised pavements. There are also bollards to be seen in the Mews. The buildings are mainly modern blocks of flats now, with only a few original Mews remaining.
Number 17b Princes Place is a Grade II Listed Building, described as a Mews House over Garages, 1969-70.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on St James’s Gardens and Queensdale Road, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a number of planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most notably; the complete demolition of a number of the properties within the Mews. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.