Powis Mews is a cobbled through road off Westbourne Park Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, leading to Talbot Road. Powis Mews contains 14 properties, used for residential and commercial purposes.
During World War II, the Aggregate Night Time Bomb Census recorded a high explosive bomb falling directly onto the Mews. In the past, the area was noted as having poor living conditions and lower than average household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Colville’ Conservation Area; a Victorian development of the 1860’s and 70’s in part, bounded by Tavistock Road to the north, Westminster to the east and the rear of Portobello Road in the West.
The one, two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with pitched and flat roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface. There are lots plants present in the Mews, along with roof gardens on some of the properties.
Originally used as the coach house/ stable accommodation for the main houses on Powis Terrace and Ledbury Road, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now a mixture of commercial and residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a number of planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, including; roof extensions, permission to use an existing roof as a roof terrace and the complete demolition of an existing building. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.