Pottery Lane is a long through road off Portland Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 44 properties used for residential, commercial and public purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto the Mews. The Mews was noted as having uncomfortable living conditions with lower than average household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s Norland Conservation Area; first designated in 1969, it contains Royal Crescent, Norland Square and St. James’s gardens. Building of the area began in the 1840’s and was completed just fifteen years later. It contains linked terraces and is largely urban in style. It is the only road in the era predating the development of the Estate.
The one, two and three storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with a variety of different roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and raised pavements.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Portland Road and Princedale Road, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most notably; elevational alterations, changes to the fenestration and basement excavations. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.