Portland Mews is a through road off Livonia Street in Westminster, leading to D’Arblay Street and parallel to Wardour Mews, also containing original/ surviving Mews properties. There are 11 properties in the Mews, used for commercial purposes.
A high explosive bomb was dropped onto Broadwick Street in World War II, west of the Mews and in earlier times, the Mews was identified and recorded on the poverty maps for the period as an area of mixed fairly comfortable and ordinary earnings to poorer households.
The Mews contains plain 19th Century warehouses and stables by Spalding and Auld 1884. It has plain brickwork, three storey buildings with roofs hidden behind parapet walls. The garages present are converted and surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface.
A few planning applications have been made since 2003 for alterations to the properties, mainly minor internal alterations.