Phillimore Walk is a very long through road off Phillimore Gardens in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, opposite Hornton Place, containing redeveloped Mews properties. Phillimore Walk contains 14 properties used for residential, public and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Hornton Street, just west of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with higher than average household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Kensington’ Conservation Area; the largest Conservation Area, covering 130 acres in total and named after the borough in which it is situated has a plethora of varying locations, from busy shopping streets to quiet Mews cul-de-sacs. The area was originally designated in 1970 and then extended over the next few years, up to most-recently, 1993 to include Kensington High Street.
The three and four storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades and a mixture of different roof styles surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface. There are raised party walls, metal bressumers and bollards present along the street.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now both residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a number of planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, including; the reinstatement of a basement swimming pool, roof and additional storey erections and other minor internal and external alterations. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.