Petersham Mews is a part-cobbled through-road off Elvaston Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, opposite Elvaston Mews and Petersham Lane, also containing original/ surviving Mews properties. Petersham Mews contains 31 properties, used for residential and commercial purposes.
During World War II, the Aggregate Night Time Bomb Census recorded a high explosive bomb falling directly onto Elvaston Mews close by. In the past, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Queen’s Gate’ Conservation Area. Containing grand terraces, garden squares and intimate Mews, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. It is bounded in the north and east sides by Westminster and incorporates London’s primary Museums.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with pitched roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface. There are raised party walls and metal bressumers, along with many seats, benches and plants in the Mews.
A Blue Plaque was erected in 2009 by English Heritage at 5 Petersham Mews, Kensington, London SW7 5NR, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea inscribed ‘Sir DOUGLAS BADER 1910-1982 RAF Fighter Pilot lived here 1955-1982’.
Originally used as the coach house/ stable accommodation for the main houses on Elvaston Place and Queen’s Gate Place, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now a mixture of residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews, most notably; basement extensions and excavations for additional residential accommodation.
Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.