Pennant Mews is a part-cobbled through road off Marloes Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, joining onto Lexham Gardens. Pennant Mews contains 19 properties, used for residential, public and commercial purposes.
During World War II, the Aggregate Night Time Bomb Census recorded a high explosive bomb falling onto Marloes Road, very close to the Mews. In the past, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Lexham Gardens’ Conservation Area. Containing Italianate-style houses built in the 1870’s, and more recently being converted into apartments, the area has only recently been designated a Conservation Area in 1995, originally as an extension to the Edwardes Square Conservation Area. Named after the principal street within the Conservation Area, the designation contains many Mews, two of which (Lexham and Radley Mews) mark the boundary in the North.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with pitched and flat roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface.
Originally used as the coach house/ stable accommodation for the main houses on Lexham Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now a mixture of residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Pennant Mews, most notably; the retention or railings outside the Mews properties, changes to the fenestration and other minor alterations.
Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.