Onslow Mews West is a cobbled cul-de-sac approached through its own arch on Cranley Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea; opposite Onslow Mews East, a redeveloped Mes and in line with Sumner Place Mews, another original/ surviving Mews. It contains 18 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Cranley Place. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with an extremely wealthy standard of living when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two storey properties have plain brickwork facades, pitched roof styles and are surrounded by a cobbled road surface.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Onslow Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Onslow Mews West, most notably; garage conversions for additional residential accommodation and changes to the existing fenestration. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.