Norland Place is a cobbled through road off Princedale Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, leading to Norland Square and situated next to Prince’s Yard, containing redeveloped Mews properties. It contains 18 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Holland Park Avenue, just south-west of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having very comfortable living conditions with higher than average, middle class household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s Norland Conservation Area; first designated in 1969, it contains Royal Crescent, Norland Square and St. James’s gardens. Building of the area began in the 1840’s and was completed just fifteen years later. It contains linked terraces and is largely urban in style.
The two storey properties have rendered, timber or painted brickwork facades with a variety of different roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface and flush pavements. There are also raised party walls to be seen in the Mews.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Holland Park Avenue, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a number of planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews, most notably the complete demolition of a number of the properties within the Mews. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.