Minera Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Chester Row (containing some Mews Style properties) in Westminster. There are 6 properties in the Mews, used for residential purposes.
Between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto Eaton Terrace, just south of the Mews. The area was noted as being fairly comfortable with good, ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Westminster City Council’s Belgravia Conservation Area; first designated in 1968, it was laid out as a fashionable residential area to the west of Buckingham Palace. There is a high degree of townscape uniformity and a formal layout based on a grid pattern. The area is predominantly residential with some shops on the edges. There are also a significant number of embassies, diplomatic buildings and institutional headquarters.
The Mews has two and three storey, plain brickwork buildings with a mixture of mansard and parapet roof styles. The buildings are surrounded by a cobbled road surface and the garages present remain intact.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Eaton Terrace but nowadays, the function of the properties is mainly residential.
A few planning applications have been made before and since 2003 for alterations to properties; mainly concerning the main buildings in the surrounding area rather than the Mews themselves, although one of the properties has been completely rebuilt with a basement excavation. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.