Manson Mews is a cobbled through road with a cul-de-sac section approached through its own arch off Clareville Street (also containing original/ surviving Mews properties), leading to Queen’s Gate in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Manson Mews contains 29 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Clareville Street, and in the past it was noted as having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published, though some houses in the immediate area were deemed as being middle-class and significantly wealthier in comparison.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Queen’s Gate’ Conservation Area. Containing grand terraces, garden squares and intimate Mews, the Conservation Area was designated in 1969. It is bounded in the north and east sides by Westminster and incorporates London’s primary Museums.
The two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with a variety of different roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface. There are roof gardens, seats, benches and plants present in the Mews.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; most concerning roof extensions and additions. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.