Lexham Mews is a part-cobbled through road approached through its own arch off Lexham Gardens in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, joining onto Radley Mews, also containing original/ surviving Mews properties. Lexham Mews contains 31 properties, used for residential and commercial purposes.
During World War II, the Aggregate Night Time Bomb Census recorded a high explosive bomb falling onto Lexham Gardens, very close to the Mews. In the past, the area was noted as having a mixture of comfortable living conditions and poorer household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Lexham Gardens’ Conservation Area. Containing Italianate-style houses built in the 1870’s, and more recently being converted into apartments, the area has only recently been designated a Conservation Area in 1995, originally as an extension to the Edwardes Square Conservation Area. Named after the principal street within the Conservation Area, the designation contains many Mews, two of which (Lexham and Radley Mews) mark the boundary in the North.
The two storey properties have rendered or painted brickwork facades with mansard, parapet and flat roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface.
Originally used as the coach house/ stable accommodation for the main houses on Lexham Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now a mixture of residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Lexham Mews most notably; the erection of additional storeys, changes to the fenestration and basement excavations.
Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.