Kinnerton Street is a through road off Motcomb Street in Westminster. The Mews is fairly large, containing 127 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
In World War II, a bomb is recorded falling directly onto Ann’s Close, a Mews Style cul-de-sac off Kinnerton Street and as a result, there is little remaining evidence of previous equestrian usage in the surviving properties. The street is recorded as having households with comfortable, good earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
Kinnerton Street is part of Westminster City Council’s Belgravia Conservation Area; first designated in 1968, it was laid out as a fashionable residential area to the west of Buckingham Palace. There is a high degree of townscape uniformity and a formal layout based on a grid pattern. The area is predominantly residential with some shops on the edges. There are also a significant number of embassies, diplomatic buildings and institutional headquarters.
The long street contains two and three storey painted and rendered brickwork buildings, surrounded by a tarmacadam surface. The roofs of the properties are a mixture of mansard, parapet and pitched styles. There is vehicular access and garages.
No. 35 Kinnerton Street was home to John Taylor of Chapman Taylor Partners, 1975 whilst No. 31 goes with Kinnerton Yard, remodelled in 1980 by Chapman Taylor Partners as arch-windowed two-storey ranges.
Kinnerton Street was used as a location for the film ‘The Fallen Idol’, 1948, Carol Reed.
The Mews originally provided stable/coach house accommodation for the larger houses in Wilton Place, from which Kinnerton Street can be accessed.
Many planning applications have been made before and since 2003, including basement excavations, additional storeys and garage conversions for residential purposes. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.