Kinnerton Place South is a small Mews with no vehicular access off Kinnerton Street in Westminster. The Mews contains 12 properties and is similar in size and location to Kinnerton Place North which contains Mews Style properties.
In World War II, a bomb is recorded falling directly onto William Mews, directly behind Frederic Mews (a nearby surviving/ original Mews) and as a result, there is little remaining evidence of previous equestrian usage in the surviving properties. The cul-de-sac is recorded as having a mixed classification of poverty when the London Poverty Maps were first published. Some households had comfortable living conditions where others were seen as poor in comparison.
Kinnerton Place South is part of Westminster City Council’s Belgravia Conservation Area; first designated in 1968, it was laid out as a fashionable residential area to the west of Buckingham Palace. There is a high degree of townscape uniformity and a formal layout based on a grid pattern. The area is predominantly residential with some shops on the edges. There are also a significant number of embassies, diplomatic buildings and institutional headquarters.
The small, secluded cul-de-sac contains two storey painted and rendered brickwork buildings, surrounded by a paved floor surface. The roofs of the properties are gabled and there are no garages or room for parking. Kinnerton Place South ends in an unusual stable complex built around 1883, with an access balcony to the upper level and flats on top.
The Mews originally provided stable/coach house accommodation for the larger houses in Kinnerton Street, from which Kinnerton Place South can be accessed.
Very few planning applications have been made before and since 2003, the most notable being permission granted to erect a conservatory. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.