Kensington Park Mews is a gated, cobbled cul-de-sac off Kensington Park Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, in line with Codrington Mews, another original/ surviving Mews street. Kensington Park Mews contains 14 properties, used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto Codrington Mews, meaning many of the properties had to be rebuilt as a result of the damage that occurred. In the past, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Ladbroke’ Conservation Area; designated in 1969, it is situated in the Notting Hill area of North Kensington and predominantly contains Victorian classical architecture around large garden squares.
The two storey properties have plain brickwork facades with a variety of mansard and parapet roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled road surface. Many of the Mews have balconies and plants surrounding the properties.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Blenheim Crescent and Elgin Crescent, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; most notably, roof extensions and alterations. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.