Horbury Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Ladbroke Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 12 properties used for residential purposes.
When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was noted as having comfortable living condition with normal household salaries for the time. A high explosive bomb fell north-west of the Mews onto Ladbroke Terrace in World War II.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Ladbroke’ Conservation Area; designated in 1969, it is situated in the Notting Hill area of North Kensington and predominantly contains Victorian classical architecture around large garden squares.
The two storey properties, built in 1878 have mansard and pitched roof styles and plain or painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the cobbled road, with partial-raised pavements.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Horbury Mews; most notably changes to the fenestration and mansard roof additions.
Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.