Fosbury Mews is a private and cobbled cul-de-sac off Inverness Terrace in Westminster. There are 10 properties in the Mews, used for residential purposes.
A high explosive bomb fell onto Queensway, south-west of the Mews in World War II. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was determined as being middle class and quite well off.
Fosbury Mews is part of Westminster City Council’s Queensway Conservation Area. Originally Westbourne Green Lane, then Black Lion Lane, the basis for the area was renamed Queen’s Road and then finally Queensway between 1840 and 1870 when main development took place. The area was designated a Conservation Area in 2002. It is a small conservation area with a mixed character and a variety of building types, styles and uses. The townscape has a very urban feel being lined with terraces and mansion flats and behind the commercial frontages to the rear of Queensway are the quiet enclaves of mews.
The houses are typical mews buildings of two storeys in yellow stock brick, though some have been painted to the west side. Most have had substantial ground floor alterations and have lost their original openings. The roofs are hidden behind parapet walls.
The 1977 Film ‘Valentino’ was partially shot in the Mews.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Inverness Terrace. Now, it is predominantly used for residential purposes and is gated, offering no access to the general public.
Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.