Ensor Mews is a cobbled through road between Cranley Gardens and Onslow Gardens with a small cul-de-sac section, situated in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 22 properties used for residential purposes.
In World War II, high explosive bombs fell onto Selwood Place and Cranley Gardens, south of the Mews. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
Built in the 1870’s, the two storey properties have mansard, gable or pitched roof styles and a variety of materials in the facades. Parking is a mixture of both allocated and restricted along the cobbled road surface and there are intact and converted garages present. One of the ends of the Mews is blocked off and there are trees, plants and seats along the street.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on Cranley Gardens and Onslow Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a number of planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Ensor Mews; including basement formations and the change to or continued use of the properties as single family dwellings. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.