Elm Park Lane is a part-cobbled through road between Elm Park Road and Beaufort Street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Elm Park Lane contains 24 properties used for residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Fulham Road, just west of the Mews and in the past it was noted as having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘Chelsea Park/ Carlyle’ Conservation Area. Originally the Elm Park Conservation Area when first designated in 1971, it was then extended to include Chelsea Park in 1979. Carlyle Square remained separate until much later and once included, the Conservation Area was henceforth renamed. A major extension to the area took place in 1991.
Slightly older than Henniker Mews but still constructed later than comparable Mews, the two storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with gable, parapet or pitched roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and tarmacadam road surface. There are both intact and converted garages present and raised pavements along the sides of the street, with entrance columns to the Mews and lion statues present.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Beaufort Street, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now a mixture of both residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; changes to the fenestration and basement excavations. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.