Egerton Gardens Mews is a through road between Egerton Gardens and Yeoman’s Row in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Egerton Gardens Mews contains 20 properties, used for residential and commercial purposes.
During World War II, the Aggregate Night Time Bomb Census recorded a high explosive bomb falling onto Egerton Gardens next to the Mews. In the past, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The one, two and four+ storey properties have plain or painted brickwork facades with a variety of mansard, gable and pitched roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and raised or flush pavements. There are columns either side of the entrance and tables and chairs present in the Mews outside of a restaurant.
Originally used as the coach house/ stable accommodation for the main houses on Brompton Road, the purpose of the Mews properties is now a mixture of residential and commercial.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties within the Mews; most notably garage conversions to additional residential accommodation and alterations to the fenestration of the properties.
Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews