Eccleston Square Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Warwick Way in Westminster. The Mews contains 35 properties used for residential purposes.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto Eccleston Square Mews and the properties had to be rebuilt as a result. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was described as being comfortable with normal household earnings.
Eccleston Square Mews is situated within Westminster City Council’s Pimilico Conservation Area. Constructed over a short period (1830’s to 1870’s), the area has a layout of formal streets and squares, lined by terraces of houses in the Classical tradition. The mews are situated behind the squares and fill in the street blocks. They are characterised by a more intimate setting than the main streets and are often entered through an archway. The buildings typically consist of two storeys and are generally scaled width-wise to the same size as the main properties that they are linked to.
The two and three storey properties in the Mews have a mixture of plain and painted brickwork facades, with a variety of mansard and parapet roof styles surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface, with the entrance to the Mews being cobbled with raised pavements.
The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stabling for the main properties on Eccleston Square but nowadays they are mainly used for residential purposes. There have been a fair number of planning applications made since 2003, mainly roof extensions, changes to the fenestration and the use of a garage as additional accommodation. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.