Eaton Mews North comprises two cobbled cul-de-sacs off Lyall Street in Westminster and is approached through its own arch. There are 57 properties in the Mews, used for residential purposes and the two sections are directly in line with Eccleston Mews, another original/ surviving Mews.
A high explosive bomb fell onto Eaton Place, just north of the Mews between 1940 and 1941. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was determined as being fairly comfortable and having households with good ordinary earnings.
Eaton Mews North is part of Westminster City Council’s Belgravia Conservation Area. First designated in 1968, it was laid out as a fashionable residential area to the west of Buckingham Palace. There is a high degree of townscape uniformity and a formal layout based on a grid pattern. The area is predominantly residential with some shops on the edges. There are also a significant number of embassies, diplomatic buildings and institutional headquarters.
The two and three storey properties are a mixture of plain and painted brickwork and vary between mansard, gable and parapet roof styles. There are both intact and converted garages present, surrounded by a cobbled road surface. The archway at the entrance to the Mews is a registered Listed Building.
The original purpose of Eaton Mews North was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Eaton Place and Eaton Square. Now, it is predominantly used for residential purposes.
A large number of planning applications have been made before and since 2003, most notably basement excavations, changes to the fenestration, roof extensions and the complete demolition of some properties. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews. The Mews was used during the filming of Alfred Hitchcock’s Stage Fright 1950.