Eastbourne Mews is a through road between Cleveland Terrace and Chilworth Street in Westminster and is approached through an entrance under a building. Containing 17 properties for a mixture of residential and commercial purposes, the Mews runs roughly north-west to south-east and is directly in line with Chilworth Mews, another original/ surviving Mews street.
A high explosive bomb fell onto Eastbourne Terrace, just west of the Mews between 1940 and 1941. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the area was determined as being fairly comfortable and having households with good ordinary earnings.
Eastbourne Mews is part of Westminster City Council’s Bayswater Conservation Area. Developed over the space of about 70 years, the townscape is uniform despite being composed of several distinct areas and is made up of a regular composition of streets and squares in an Italianate style. An important aspect of the street pattern are the several mews, some quite intimate and others so large that they appear to be a development of their own. The contrast of scale provided by these mews is a crucial aspect of the overall area’s character.
The two and three storey properties are on one side of the street whilst a small business occupies the opposing side. There is a mixture of different materials and styles used in the facades of the buildings and both mansard and parapet roof styles can be seen. Almost all the garages present are intact. David Essex once lived here.
The original purpose of Eastbourne Mews was to provide stable/ coach house accommodation to the main houses on Westbourne Terrace and Eastbourne Terrace. Now, it is predominantly used for residential purposes but there remains some commercial use on one side of the street.
Planning applications have been made since 2003, most notably; substantial demolition of 3 properties with new basement excavations being carried out. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.