Devonshire Mews South is a cobbled through road between Weymouth Street and Devonshire Street in Westminster, directly opposite Devonshire Mews West, another original/ surviving Mews. The Mews contains 24 properties and is used for residential purposes.
Between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb is recorded falling onto the central section of Harley Street, not far from the Mews. The area was noted as being fairly comfortable with good, ordinary household earnings when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
Devonshire Mews South is situated to the north of the Harley Street Conservation Area in Westminster. First designated in 1968, the area is now dominated by terraced houses of different periods and different levels of social status. It retains a substantial medical presence, whilst offices predominate to the eastern edges.
The Mews used to be Upper Wimpole Street. There are some steps outside the buildings and plants and trees in pots along the Mews. The properties themselves vary between two, three and four storeys with a mixture of plain and painted brickwork facades. There are mansard and parapet roof styles and raised party walls, all surrounded by a cobbled road surface.
There have been a few planning applications made before and since 2003, mainly roof extensions, external alterations and the excavation of a basement. Conservation Area controls now apply to any new development in the Mews.