De Vere Mews is a part-cobbled, gated cul-de-sac, approached through its own arch on Canning Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, parallel to De Vere Cottages, a redeveloped Mews courtyard. De Vere Mews contains 17 properties used for residential purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell onto Palace Gate, just east of the Mews. The Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions with ordinary household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of the ‘De Vere’ Conservation Area. The De Vere Conservation Area was originally designated in 1969 as Kensington New Town, with the other two (Kensington Court and Cornwall) areas being designated separately soon after. In 1985, the boundaries were modified and revised.
The three storey properties have painted brickwork facades with mansard roof styles, surrounded by a cobbled and paved road surface. There are balconies at the first and second floor levels and a large stone planter in the center of the courtyard.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on the surrounding streets, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been very few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; most notably the change to the entrance of the Mews and alterations to the house on De Vere Gardens affecting the Mews. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.