Cromwell Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac off Cromwell Place in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 32 properties used for residential purposes. One side of the Mews leads to a school, the other is pedestrian access and despite the main Mews properties being in the cul-de-sac section, a through road leads onto Queensberry Mews West, another original/ surviving Mews.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb fell onto Thurloe Street, south-east of the Mews. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two storey properties have a mixture of mansard and pitched roof styles and rendered or painted brickwork facades. Parking is not permitted along the cobbled road surface and there are both intact and converted garages present.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on Cromwell Place, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Cromwell Mews; most notably the erection of metal gates to certain properties. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.