Cresswell Place is a cobbled through road between Old Brompton Road and Priory Walk in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 41 properties used for residential purposes.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb fell onto Drayton Gardens, running parallel to the Mews. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘The Boltons’ Conservation Area. One of the more attractive of Kensington’s 32 Conservation Areas, it was designated in January 1970 and since extended to contain Dove Mews in the east and Seymour Walk in the south.
Built in 1894, the two and three storey properties have a mixture of different roof styles and timber or plain brickwork facades. Parking is restricted/ allocated along the cobbled road surface and there are both intact and converted garages present. The properties have raised party walls.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on Drayton Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been many planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Cresswell Place; including extensive rear and subterranean extensions. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.