Cranley Mews is a cobbled through road between Cranley Gardens and Old Brompton Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It contains 52 properties used for residential purposes.
In World War II, a high explosive bomb fell onto Drayton Gardens, west of the Mews. When the London Poverty Maps were published, the Mews was noted as having comfortable living conditions and ordinary household earnings for the time.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Thurloe Estate/ Smith’s Charity’ Conservation Area. One of Kensington’s largest and first to be designated Conservation Areas, it contains Late Georgian Terraces and Victorian Terraces; most of which were built between 1840 and 1880.
The two storey properties have pitched roof styles and plain or painted brickwork facades. Parking is restricted along the cobbled road surface and there are intact garages present. There are raised party walls to be seen in the Mews and many of the properties have first floor balconies.
Originally the stable house accommodation for the main houses on Cranley Gardens and Roland Gardens, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in Cranley Mews; including external alterations and the demolition and rebuilding of the ground floor front elevation for a number of properties. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.