Codrington Mews is an L-Shaped cul-de-sac off Blenheim Crescent in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, with the bottom part of the Mews being in line with Kensington Park Mews, another original/ surviving Mews street. Codrington Mews contains 13 properties, used for residential and commercial purposes.
At some point between October 1940 and June 1941, a high explosive bomb fell directly onto the Mews meaning many of the properties had to be rebuilt as a result of the damage that occurred. In the past, the area was noted as having comfortable living conditions and normal household earnings for the time when the London Poverty Maps were first published.
The Mews is part of Kensington’s ‘Ladbroke’ Conservation Area. Designated in 1969, it is situated in the Notting Hill area of North Kensington and predominantly contains Victorian classical architecture around large garden squares.
The two storey properties have painted brickwork facades with a variety of pitched and gable roof styles, surrounded by a tarmacadam road surface and partial raised pavements. There are both original Mews and newer, mews-style properties present, along with many plants, benches and tables.
Originally the stable/ coach house accommodation for the main houses on Blenheim Crescent and Elgin Crescent, the primary purpose of the Mews properties is now residential, though some commercial activity still takes place.
Before and since 2003 there have been a few planning applications made for alterations to the properties in the Mews; most notably, the complete demolition of one of the structures and changes to the fenestration on some of the properties. Conservation Area controls apply to any new development in the Mews.